The Summer Teen Program is currently not taking applications. Please check back at the beginning of February.
We are providing further information at this time to help you prepare for when the application process is open.
The Summer Teen Volunteer Program runs June through early August for teens ages 16- 18.
Teen volunteers will build leadership, teamwork, communication and customer service skills, as well as gain valuable exposure to the health care environment in a nationally recognized medical center. Summer Teens will volunteer in a variety of areas; they may greet and help patients or their families become oriented and comfortable in the hospital, including assisting with wayfinding, transporting patients, or providing beverages and treats. They may also assist staff in radiology, day surgery, the breast center, and central supply or other clinical areas that are available. In addition, Summer Teens will attend talks and hands-on learning sessions to help them explore different career possibilities within the health care community, including medicine, nursing, mental health, physical therapy and more. Candidates for this selective program must be mature, reliable, self-directed, motivated, and able to work independently. They will be asked to demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills and be comfortable working with a diverse patient population.
We're looking for students entering their junior and senior years of high school, with at least a 3.4 GPA. Students participating in the program must be 16 by the start of the program in mid June. The ideal candidate is someone who has a serious interest in pursuing a future career in healthcare. The essay, letters of recommendation, and application will be considered in making a decision about acceptance. Please note there are a limited number of program placements available; an application does not guarantee placement in the program. Completed applications are due March 28 by 5:00pm. No late applications will be accepted.
Details about the teen volunteer program:
- The summer program will be 8-weeks.
- Attendance at one General Volunteer Orientation is mandatory.
We will offer two different days and times for orientation. Saturday morning or Tuesday afternoon during the first week of June.
- Teen volunteers will volunteer for 2-weekly, 4-hour shifts. Morning shifts run from 8:00am until 12:00pm. Afternoon shifts are from 12:30pm until 4:30pm.
- Teen volunteers will also attend additional education sessions, at which healthcare experts (doctors, nurses, medical technicians, etc.) will share valuable information about healthcare through both lecture and hands on learning. You will learn about careers such as neurology, pharmacy and research, and even get to practice your new skills on mechanical robots during a live simulation exercise. There may be limited space in these special sessions and volunteers will need to attend a minimum of 4 education opportunities.
- Summer teens may talk with a Volunteer Services staff to plan (have excused absence) for a family vacation or another pre-planned summer event. Once the schedule is set, 100% attendance is required (unless ill.) No more than two weeks (4 volunteer sessions) may be missed over the summer.
- Summer teens will be given a Summer Teen shirt and will adhere to the UCH dress code.
Questions? Contact Jenny Ricklefs at Jennifer.Ricklefs@uchealth.org or Anne Malin at Lenora.Malin@uchealth.org
Completed applications will include:
1. Application form filled out online with electronic signature of applicant
2. Photo "selfie." Uploaded photo of your face showing top of your head down to your shoulders. We will keep this photo in your volunteer file and use it to prepare for you start in a unit.
3. Completed 500-600 word essay: Topic to be determined.
4. Two letters of reference: - One reference must be from counselor at your school. - The second reference may be from a teacher, minister, employer, previous supervisor or adult friend. We can accept written letters and other recommendation forms, but we highly recommend using our form to ensure areas critical to our process are covered.
5. Parent consent form.
When it is time to apply, please use an email that we can reach you through all summer, preferably a non-school email. We recommend setting up a straightforward, non-school email (i.e. email@example.com) if you do not have one. It is good to have this ready for college applications and scholarships.
Additionally, download these forms BEFORE filling out the application. You will be uploading the completed forms at the bottom of the application form before you can submit.
1. Summer Volunteer Parent/Legal Guardian Consent Form Please click here to download.
2. 1st Letter of Reference Form for School Counselor Please click here to download.
3. 2nd Letter of Reference Form Please click here to download.