Shadowing at UCHealth for University of Colorado Hospital and metro Denver clinics
Welcome to Shadowing at the University of Colorado Hospital and metro Denver area clinics. The Shadowing program at UCHealth is designed to provide a structured educational experience while addressing patient safety, security and patient privacy.
Sponsors and Shadowers
In order to participate, Shadowers must have a Sponsor. A Sponsor is a UCHealth employee, contractor or provider who has made arrangements for the Shadower's presence in the unit or facility and who will accompany the Shadower at all times during the visit.
- Shadowers must be at least 18 years old.
- Shadowing is limited to 12 hours per calendar year and may be broken into shorter shadowing sessions (i.e. 1-3 shifts for a total of 12 hours maximum per calendar year.)
What are the steps if someone wishes to Shadow?
- Determine your area of interest and who you would like to shadow. You can do so by searching on www.uchealth.org for Doctors, Locations and Specialties. Contact the potential Sponsor and ask to shadow. The Volunteer Services and Shadowing office is not able to find a Sponsor for a potential shadower.
- Set a specific location, date and time for shadowing with your Sponsor.
- Gather the required documents (outlined in step 5) and complete the shadowing application below. Applications must be submitted at least one-week prior to your shadowing date .
- Complete the UCHealth Shadowing facility orientation located under the online training tab. You must score 100% to be approved to shadow .
- Upload proof of MMR, tDAP, and Varicella/Chicken pox vaccination and proof of a negative TB test completed within the last year. If shadowing is occurring during flu season, you must also upload copies of your current flu shot. Current UCHealth employees do not need to complete this step.
- Upload a copy of a completed COVID-19 vaccination record (final shot must be completed at least 2 weeks prior).
What are the steps if an UCHealth staff/UCD physician wishes to Sponsor?
- Review the UCHealth Shadowing/Observership policy.
- Ensure manager/director of the clinic/unit/surgery is informed and approves of the visit. No one may bring a Shadower into a UCHealth facility without permission n.
- Be clear with the Shadower that this is a short experience, (i.e. 1-3 shifts for a total of 12 hours maximum per calendar year.)
- The Shadower must be 18 years of age or older.
- Establish the date(s) and time(s) for the Shadower.
- Ensure the Shadower completes their portion of the Shadowing application below at least one week prior to the shadowing date.
The Sponsor agreement will be emailed to you for review and approval, please complete the Sponsor portion of the application by following the instructions in the email.
Day of Shadowing:
- Park at the Capri lot at Ursula and Colfax. A link to a map can be found here. You will receive futher instructions for parking in your confirmation email.
- Walk in the back door of the hospital and follow the signs to the Atrium lobby. The Anschutz Inpatient Pavilion (AIP) information desk is located in the lobby.
- Sign in at the AIP information desk and receive a Shadowing badge.
- Dress appropriately in business casual attire. No jeans or shorts. No gum, food, or drink while shadowing.
- Turn off cell phone- absolutely no pictures or recordings of the experience allowed.
- Your sponsor will explain the rules and regulations about shadowing (i.e. Sponsor must ask patient's permission first.)
- At the conclusion of the agreed upon time, the Shadower will return to the information desk and initial that the badge has been returned. If shadowing over more than one day, badges must be returned at the end of each day.
You will receive a confirmation email from Volunteer Services and Shadowing to confirm when all steps have been completed. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.