Educational Observation Program or Shadowing at UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital and metro Denver area
Welcome to the University of Colorado Hospital and metro Denver area clinics. We thankfully receive many requests for "shadowing" - where a UCHealth visitor 18 years old or older observes doctors, nurses, therapists, technicians, and other healthcare providers as they care for patients or perform their day-to-day duties. The Educational Observation Program (EOP) or Shadowing at UCHealth is designed to provide a structured educational experience for those individuals while addressing patient safety.
Sponsors and Observers
In order to participate in the program, observers to UCHealth must have a sponsor. A sponsor is a UCHealth employee or provider who has made arrangements for the observer's presence in the unit or facility and who will accompany the observer at all times during the visit.
- Observers must be at least 18 years old. *Exceptions may be made for an individual, 16 to 18 years of age, with guardian approval who has previously volunteered for 48 hours or more in an UCHealth facility.
- Shadowing is limited to 12 hours per calendar year and may be broken into shorter shadowing sessions (i.e. 1-3 shifts for a total of 12 hours maximum per calendar year.) Any UCHealth employee can be a sponsor - the sponsor does not have to be a clinician.
Information on Educational Observation Program EOP (aka: Shadowing)
What are the steps if someone wishes to OBSERVE?
- Determine where you would like to observe and who you would like to shadow.
- Contact the potential sponsor and ask to shadow him/her. The Volunteer Services office is not able to find a sponsor for a potential observer.
- Set a specific location, date and time for the EOP experience (s).
- Complete the EOP/Shadowing process and submit at least 1 week prior to your scheduled shadowing date or dates.
- Complete the Facility Orientation Training located under the training tab. You must score 100% to be approved to shadow.
What are the steps if an UCHealth staff/UCD physician wishes to SPONSOR an observer?
- Read the UCHealth EOP policy online to determine if short-term shadowing, EAO or volunteering, is the best fit.
- Ensure manager/director of the clinic/unit/surgery is informed and approves of the observation visit. No one may bring an observer into UCHealth without permission.
- Be clear with the observer that this is a short observational experience, (i.e. 1-3 shifts for a total of 12 hours maximum per calendar year.)
- The observer must be 18 years of age or older. See exceptions above.
- Establish a date(s) and time(s) for the EOP/shadowing.
- Direct the participant to complete their portion of the EOP/Shadowing application online at https://uclive.vsyslive.com/pages/app/SHADOW.
- Complete the sponsor portion of the EOP/Shadowing application.
Day of EOP experience:
- Park at the VA gravel lot on 17th Ave near Peoria. A link to a map is here.
- Walk in the back door of the hospital and follow the signs to the Atrium lobby. The Anschutz Inpatient Pavilion (AIP) information desk is located in the lobby.
- Sign in at the AIP information desk and receive EOP badge.
- Dress appropriately in business casual attire. No jeans or shorts. No gum, food, or drink while shadowing.
- Turn off cell phone- absolutely no pictures or recordings of the experience allowed.
- Your sponsor will explain the rules and regulations about observing (i.e. sponsor must ask patient first.)
- At the conclusion of the agreed upon time, the observer will return to the information desk and initial that the badge has been returned. If shadowing over more than one day, badges must be returned at the end of each day.
You will receive a confirmation email from Volunteer Services to confirm when all steps have been completed. If you have any questions email Melissa.Strickland@uchealth.org or Jennifer.Ricklefs@uchealth.org.