Observership Application Process
Thank you for your interest in Shadowing and Observerships at UCHealth. Please read through our processes and be aware of deadlines. We are not able to facilitate experiences that are not completed and submitted on time.
Thank you for your interest in coming to UCHealth for an Observership. We want your time with us to be a beneficial learning experience. The Observership program builds on UCHealth's commmitment to educate future clinical, administrative, and research leaders in healthcare. These academic Observerships facilitate knowledge sharing, expertise in administrative and clinical care, in addition to quality and innovation in healthcare.
- Observerships are educational only and provide no hands-on experiences.
- Observers will not physically engage with any patients or advise on any cases.
- Federal regulations prohibit participants in this program from performing research.
- This is a voluntary opportunity and cannot be used for school credit.
- Please review the Educational Experience Algorithm before submitting your application to ensure you are a good candidate for this program.
This is a multi-step application. Please follow the steps below.
It is the responsibility of the participant to arrange and confirm with their Sponsor the dates of their observership. Observership dates MUST be confirmed prior to submitting an application. The entire application process must be completed and approved at least one month prior to beginning an observership.
The contract, which can be found in Step 3, indicates the dates and length of your Observership as well as your responsibilities and the responsibilities of your Sponsor. Please be aware, multiple individuals will need to initial and sign the contract.
If any part of the steps below are not complete, the Observership will not be approved. There will be no exceptions.
Step One: Find a Sponsor and coordinate the dates of the Observership. The Sponsor may refer you to an administrative assistant, please work with this person and use them as a resource.
Step Two: Click on the Observership Contract to download, print, and sign the sections indicated for Participants. Send the contract to your Sponsor to receive the required signatures from the Sponsor, Clinical Department Chair, and Clinical Manager. The completed Observership Contract should be the first document uploaded to your application.
Step Three: Fill out the Observership application below.
Step Four: Complete the three required education modules and the associated quizzes. These can be found in the portal under online training.Step Five : Upload the following documents to your account. Documents must be legible and in English. Any documents not in English need to be officially translated before being uploaded.
- Current CV or resume
- U.S. ID or passport
- Results of Background Check in home country
- Copy of Health Insurance coverage for the duration of your visit to Colorado
- Results of a 10 panel drug screen completed within six weeks of start date
- Documentation of current immunizations or titers
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
- TDAP or DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus)
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Hepatitis B
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
- Results of TB test taken in the last 12 months or report indicating a negative chest x-ray report
- Seasonal flu vaccination (October-May)
- COVID-19 vaccination record
Please give us time to review your documents before uploading another copy. This is not an automatic, computerized process. Once a document is uploaded, it must be reviewed and approved by a staff member before that item will show as complete.
Step Six: Schedule an in-person appointment with Volunteer Services and Shadowing to complete onboarding and recieve your UCHealth Observership badge. This may be scheduled prior to the first day or on the morning of the first day of the Observership. Onboarding must be completed prior to starting an Observership.